Tiny Core Linux is a very small (<12 MB) minimal Linux GUI Desktop. It is based on Linux 3.0 kernel, Busybox, Tiny X, and Fltk. The core runs entirely in ram and boots very quickly. Also offered are Micro Core, a 8 MB image that is the console based engine of Tiny Core, and Multi Core, which includes Tiny Core, Micro Core, networking tools and an installer.
Micro Core contains CLI versions of Tiny Core's programs allowing the same functionality of Tiny Core's extensions, only starting with a console based system.
Changes in version 4.0:-
- Updated kernel to 3.0.3
- Updated udev to 173
- Updated glibc to eglibc-2.13
- Updated e2fsprogs base libs to 1.41.14
- Updated gcc base libs to 4.6.1
- Updated util-linux base libs to 2.19.1
- Updated eglibc for 486/586 support.
- Updated base Xlibs (microcore users need to get new Xlibs.tcz)
- Updated all the custom core utilities to use the new repository area.
- New loadcpufreq to handle module loading.
- Updated ondemand for console based extensions via Freedesktop Exec=cliorx prgname
- Updated tce-load & tce-audit for dynamic KERNEL dependency processing.
- Adjusted .xsession to handle X startup failure.
- Adjusted .setbackground colors for wallpaper handling.
- Updated AppBrowser Search and Keyword as described below.
- Updated ab Search and Keyword.
- Updated search.sh internal script support for new search method shared by AppBrowser & ab
- New keyword.sh internal script support for new keyword method shared by AppBrowser & ab
- Updated loadcpufreq ( C rewrite for speed)
- Updated busybox 1.19.2 with latest patches and nbd-client
- Updated rebuildfstab, tc-config, & rc.shutdown for nbd-client support.
- Updated getTime.sh for random selection of time servers (atl chi sj).
- Updated Luxi fonts to disable hinting.